I’ve got quite a few t-shirts that I bought last summer that have gotten a bit snug. Usually, I am able to give them to my 11 year old daughter to wear, but some are a bit too big for her to wear. There are some that I could send to a consignment shop, but the other ones I really like and want to keep. So what can I do with these t-shirt? Turn them into something new, but into what? Pillows! The best part is that you don’t have to sew. I don’t own a sewing machine and haven’t sewed anything since the 8th grade, so this craft would be perfect to those non sewers like me.
No Sewing T-shirt Pillows
What you need
- Favorite old t-shirt
- Ruler or measuring tape
- White fabric chalk
- Stuffing (found at a craft store)
- Measure and outline a square or rectangle on the front of your t-shirt with the white fabric chalk. There should be a border about 2 1/2 – 3 inches.
- Draw a bigger square around the first one you drew and it should measure about 2 – 2 1/2 inches.
- Take your pair of scissors cut the outer square on your shirt. Make sure to keep the back of the t-shirt aligned with the front as you cut.
- Now you should cut tabs around your shirt that measure 1 inch wide. You will cut to the first line. The corners should be 2 inches from the side.
- After cutting the tabs, tie them together around your shirt, but leave about a half undone so that you are able to stuff the pillow.
- Begin to stuff the pillow until you want it soft or firm.
- Tie the rest of the tabs together after you have finished stuffing.
- Note: You can use a regular throw pillow (you can find at a craft store) and tie the shirt around that if you don’t want to use stuffing. Also remember, that the smaller your t-shirt is, the smaller your pillow will be. A large t-shirt would be big enough for a regular throw pillow.
Photo Credit: Thinkstock