Who doesn’t like ice cream during the summertime? All the flavors and toppings you could imagine, it just makes you feel young at heart again. An ice cream social party is a great way to celebrate the love of ice cream, am I right? You can make it elaborate or as simple as you want, whatever the mood takes you. Plus it’s a good way to gather friends and family together to cool off on a hot, summer day.
Invitations to guest
Create cute ice cream cone invitations using colorful card stock paper to create vanilla, chocolate or orange sherbet scoops of ice cream. Use brown paper to for the cones and don’t forget red to add on top as the cherry. In the center of the cone, you can write in the details of where the social will be hosted.
Don’t forget the cookies and other toppings!
There are loads and loads of toppings that anyone can add to their ice cream. Here are a few ideas to ensure you have enough to go around. You can add your own ideas to the list, of course.
- Vanilla wafers – great for ice cream sandwiches
- Oreos – crumble in a bowl of vanilla ice cream
- Sugar wafers – use as a topping for splits and sundaes
- Candies, nuts and sprinkles
- Caramel, hot fudge and butterscotch
- Whipped cream
- Sliced fresh fruit and Maraschino cherries
You can add a beverage with your ice cream social. The beverage that is being served should complement the ice cream treats and not be too overwhelming. A root beer float is always a favorite ice cream drink.
- Pink lemonade
- Root beer
- Iced espresso or coffee
- Chilled water
Ice cream buffet set up
The simplest way to create an ice cream style buffet is to keep the like items together. This way the line will flow more smoothly.
- Bowls and utensils should be at the beginning of the line.
- All ice cream containers will follow next.
- Have your toppings in individual bowls and group them together next.
- Arrange the cookies on a platter for easy picking and this should be second to the last in line.
- Cups and beverages should be grouped together and at the end of the buffet.
- Napkins and wet wipes should be at a separate table so that the guest won’t stop the flow of the line.
- As guests arrive, give them a bandana that matches the color theme of the social. They can be tied around the neck to make cute bibs to catch messy ice cream drips.
- Provide allergen free ice cream and accompaniments for those that have food sensitivities or chocolate or peanut allergies.
Have you been to an ice cream social?
Photo Credit: Thinkstock