Since 1930, when it hit store shelves, people have been enjoying the convenience of frozen foods in their everyday lives. Busy schedules sometimes make it impossible to make a home-cooked meal from scratch, and that’s why National Frozen Food day was born. It’s a time to celebrate all that yummy food you have in your freezer and be thankful for their convenience. There are many ways to celebrate the national holiday, and we’re sure you have just the foods you need in your freezer to do it. [photo via miranda.blogspot]
- Start your day off right by popping a frozen breakfast treat in the microwave or toaster.
- For lunch, whether at work or home, take a frozen lunch entrée out of the freezer and enjoy a quick meal. Even people on a diet or restricted in their nutritional intake can enjoy these entrees because many are specifically made for the health conscious.
- Make a trip to the grocery store and stock up on your favorite frozen foods. They keep for a long time and usually come in space-saving packaging so you can fill your freezer with plenty.
- When you have a busy schedule and don’t have time to cook a big meal, grab a frozen dinner out of the freezer and pop it in the oven. You’ll have a nutritious dinner in no time, and be out the door to your next appointment with time to spare.
- Frozen snacks are the best! Got a craving for something cold and sweet? Ice cream sure hits the spot and is a favorite frozen food in many households.
If making a nutritious, delicious meal is what you want to do to celebrate this holiday, this recipe for Tater Tot Casserole will definitely fit the bill nicely. Using frozen tater tots and optional frozen vegetables, it’s the perfect way to show your love for the frozen food.
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
3 cups frozen tater tots
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (optional)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook beef and onion over medium heat until done. Pour off fat.
- Return meat to skillet and add vegetables and soup. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into a 12×8 shallow baking dish and top with a layer of tater tots.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over top and bake at 425º for 25 minutes or until potatoes are done and cheese is bubbly.