National Milk Chocolate Day is July 28, and we don’t need an excuse to be dreaming of chocolate. But we decided to really try a challenge and find a recipe that matches one of kids’ most favorite treats…which, um, isn’t going to sound very cool. See, the folks at Domino’s Pizza have this Chocolate Lava Cake. Yeah. Our kids think that’s the greatest dessert ever invented. We had to give it a try. Things worked out, though, and now we’re passing on this recipe for delectable Warm Double-Chocolate Brownie Cakes–that yields eight amazing treats… [photo via foodandwine.com]
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour 8 cups in a standard-size muffin pan.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add one-fifth of the milk chocolate and whisk until melted. Let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cake flour with the all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar, at medium speed, until pale and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in the melted chocolate mixture and the dry ingredients in 3 additions, scraping down the bowl occasionally with a spatula.
- Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for about 22 minutes, until the cakes have risen and are springy.
- Let the cakes cool in the muffin pan for 15 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes longer.
- Serve the cakes warm, with ice cream if desired.
The brownie cakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Rewarm the cakes before serving. You are going to want to use this many times well past National Milk Chocolate Day; we will not judge. This is one holiday we want to celebrate every day!