When you think of crème brulee, you may picture a custard dessert served in a ramekin bowl and topped with caramelized sugar. This is an easy dessert to make that consist of traditional ingredients such as cream, sugar, eggs and vanilla. There are other flavors besides vanilla that can be added such as chocolate, cinnamon or coffee for a twist on the traditional flavor. Crème brulee has been compared to the taste of vanilla pudding but with a yummy crunchy topping. [photo via flickr]
August 17th is National Vanilla Custard Day, and we’re celebrating in a roundabout way with a fancy custard dessert. This recipe may have you thinking you need to come dressed up to the breakfast table, but even though this tastes like a gourmet treat, everyone can enjoy dining in their pajamas This Crème Brulee French Toast recipe may become a favorite that the family requests every weekend!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 loaf Texas Toast thick bread (French Toast bread)
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 eggs
and to stir up some Buttermilk Syrup…
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp dark Karo syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat until smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture onto large, greased jelly roll pan (18x13x1) Spread to cover surface.
- Place 12 slices of Thick Sliced bread in a single layer to cover pan.
- Mix eggs, cream, salt, and vanilla. Spoon mixture over each piece of bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for about 30 min.
- Remove from pan and serve. (If not serving immediately, turn each slice of bread over to prevent sticking to the pan.)
To make syrup: Mix all ingredients, except vanilla, and heat in saucepan to boiling. Boil for 5 min stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Any syrup will do if you don’t make the buttermilk syrup, but it is really good! You can also add your favorite fresh fruit such as peaches, blueberries, or raspberries to the top. Since this French toast is prepared the night before, there’s less clean up in the morning and more time for spending with the family!