We’d normally complain about people following up National Raspberry Cake Day with National Raspberry Cream Pie Day. However, it really is raspberry season. That counts for something. We’ve had enough success as humble gardeners to know what it’s like to have a massive harvest of something. You can only leave bountiful gifts on so many friends’ porches.
And this is also a fine time of year to avoid doing any baking in the kitchen. We’ve had enough heat in the house, thank you. So try this fabulous no-cook recipe for Chocolate Raspberry Cream Pie. It’s simple, and very cool and satisfying… [photo via flickr]
- 7 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (about 32), coarsely broken
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (two 6-ounce containers)
- Place broken cookies in processor. Using on/off turns, process until finely ground.
- Place chocolate chips, butter, and sugar in microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high at 15-second intervals until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Add chocolate mixture to processor and blend until combined.
- Press crumb mixture onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch glass pie dish (do not pack firmly).
- Chill crust while preparing filling.
- Whisk condensed milk, crème fraîche, lemon juice, and lemon peel in large bowl to blend. Add half of raspberries.
- Stir, pressing gently on some raspberries, until raspberries begin to break apart and filling turns pink.
- Transfer filling to crust.
- Chill until filling is set, about 2 hours.
- Scatter remaining raspberries over pie.
- Cut into wedges and serve.