January has finally decided to get really cold outside (and inside) the ModernDayMom offices. We should probably be celebrating National Pie Day with something fresh out of the oven. But we are, after all, a mom site, and that means giving the kids an occasional treat. We’re sure they’d love a hot apple pie, or a rhubarb pie–but here we are going with a delicious Chocolate Banana Cream Pie recipe from Allrecipes.com. It combines chocolate, bananas, vanilla and coconut for an easy and delicious treat the whole family will love. [photo via allrecipes]
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust, baked and cooled
- 2 squares (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 ½ cups cold milk
- 1 (3.5 ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
- Combine chocolate, 1 tablespoon milk, and butter in a medium, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 to 1 ½ minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread evening in pie crust.
- Arrange banana slices over chocolate
- Pour 1 ½ cups cold milk into a large bowl. Add pudding mix and beat with a wire whisk for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 ½ cups coconut. Spoon over banana slices in crust.
- Spread whipped topping over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Store in refrigerator.
This recipe is great because it can be modified to suit the tastes of everyone. For variation, trying using a graham cracker crust, add more chocolate on the bottom, or more bananas. For some kid- friendly extra fun, add chocolate sprinkles to the top after the coconut.