Ever wanted to worry about having your soufflé fall? We have, too–and we finally got the chance while getting ready for National Cheese Soufflé Day. Our first thought was that we were really lucky that May 18th is a Saturday. We figured it would take the entire day for most people to make a cheese soufflé. But it turns out that you can make a pretty great one using a simple recipe–and kids love it, because you’re mostly combining milk and cheese and eggs. Those are all popular anyway, right? Of course, you can then add mushrooms or other favorites to this dish. Serve it up for lunch or dinner, add a side of something tasty like corn or rice, and don’t forgot to marvel that your soufflé didn’t fall. That’s really satisfying… [photo via flickr]
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan
- 1 cup of freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Crack the eggs and separate the whites from the yellows. Keep them in separate bowls.
- Coat the soufflé baking dish with the parmesan cheese.
- In a small pan, heat up the milk until it boils. Keep stirring the milk to prevent it from scorching.
- In another pan, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir well until it gets a foamy texture.
- Take the second pan off the stove and pour in the warm milk. Whisk well. Put the pan back on the stove to cook. Continue to whisk briskly until it’s thick and creamy.
- Take the mixture off the stove one last time. Add in one egg yolk at a time and continue to whisk. Once you’re done adding the eggs, pour the mixture into a large bowl and cool.
- In another large bowl, mix and lightly beat the egg whites. Carefully fold in about a quarter of that mixture into the previous mixture. Add the other cheese and fold in the rest of the egg white mixture.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the parmesan covered baking dish and bake in the oven. Time it for about 22 to 28 minutes. When the dish is fully cooked, you will notice a slightly crisp brown top. Don’t let the dish cool off, serve right away. Enjoy!