Are you a popcorn fan that enjoys the crunchy white popped kernels any way you can get them? Do you prefer a sweet concoction or the buttery-salty version? Or are you a busy mom who just knows that popcorn is an easy treat that always makes your kids happy? Of course, there’s also some gratification in knowing that popcorn is a healthy alternative to other snacks. It even contains an antioxidant substance called polyphenols. In fact, popcorn is a better source for that than any fruits and vegetables! Get geared up to celebrate January 19th as National Popcorn day with this tasty twist on the traditional popcorn ball. The geniuses at Popcorn.org have found a tasty twist that’s a heart-healthy option with lots of flavor and crunch–while satisfying even the biggest sweet tooth! [photo via popcorn.org]
- 1 quart popped popcorn
- 2 cups apple and cinnamon flavored cereal
- 1 cup cocktail peanuts
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, toss together popped popcorn, cereal and peanuts. Set aside. Butter sides of a heavy 2 quart saucepan.
- In saucepan, combine apple juice, sugar, corn syrup, vinegar and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil.
- Cook to hard ball stage (250 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat. Pour syrup over popcorn-cereal-peanut mixture; toss to coat.
- Spread in a buttered 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 by 1-inch baking pan. Cool until hardened.
- Break into pieces.