Moms have a lot on their plates and a good bit of those responsibilities include being on the go. We can develop the bad habit of throwing on jeans or sweatpants, sneakers or flip flops with a t-shirt, tank or sweatshirt and not think twice about it. Can you see where I’m going here?
We need to remember we don’t have to sacrifice style for comfort. In order to make your essential pieces effective be sure to choose the correct fit (don’t worry about the size), sacrifice a little extra dough for better craftsmanship and make friends with a good tailor.
Here’s a list of 10 perfect pieces that’ll keep you comfortable and modern while you’re on the go.
1. Little red dress – This is your version of the LBD. Honestly, red is my color and I think it is a great anti-black choice. If you choose another color, bold is best in a wrinkle-free fabric that’s ideal for dressing up and dressing down.
2. Patterned/Textured tights – Slide a pair of these on with classic wedges or boots under your modified LBD and you’re set to go.
3. Boots (ankle & knee-high) – Both styles of boots can be worn with pants, leggings or skirts and dresses. They’re a definite wardrobe staple.
4. Leggings – All leggings are not created equal. Modern moms should never wear leggings that are as thin as a pair of tights. Real leggings are thicker cottons that in no way reveal the highs and lows of your undies. Slip them on under a tunic, a dress or a long sweater and you’ll be extra comfortable and stylish. Please keep in mind to dress for your body type.
5. Tunic – Tunics come in a variety of styles and shapes to include cow necks, dolman sleeves, satiny and sweater-like fabrics as well as different lengths. They’re great with skirts, leggings and jeans.
6. Colored jeans – Take your mom jeans to the next level and add a pop of color. Slip on clogs or boots in the winter or wedged sandals in the summer and spring. Colored jeans take the mom wardrobe from ho-hum to yes-um.
7. Ankle-length pants – Ankle-length pants are an ideal addition to your closet. They’re versatile and comfortable.
8. Perfect heel – This is the not-too-high and not-too-low heel that looks good with just about everything in your wardrobe and can be dressed up or down. You may have to spend a little more for a pair that’s completely comfortable, but your toes will thank you. You’ll also be happy to have them when an unexpected invitation appears in your inbox.
9. Walking shoes – No, not sneakers, no tennis shoes, and running shoes aren’t for everyday trotting around. Almost every brand of shoes makes a walking shoe with non-skid soles, no bulk and slim straps for accent and functionality.
10. Functional outerwear – Go for a belted, flirty trench to accent your waist, a tailored blazer to make a statement and a funky leather jacket to highlight your personality.
Now, take this list and inventory your closet to create a wardrobe you’ll be excited to explore every morning.
Photo credit: Thinkstock